I was lucky enough to be able to to test the new splash swim suit from lily sage and co. There are two options for the pattern; a one piece swim suit, or a bikini with high waist bottoms. I had never made anything high waist before, but I really like them! The pattern pieces all fit together beautifully, and it came together very quickly. This was also the first swim suit I had ever made, and it was a lot of fun trying something new! But of course I couldn’t stop there.. I had already thought about making a second pair of bottoms when I first saw the pattern, but I ended up having plenty of fabric left over, so I went ahead and made a pair of smaller bikini bottoms also. I LOVE how they turned out. I just took a few inches off the top of the pattern pieces, adjusted the waistband piece, and proceeded like normal. I’m super excited for my new suit, and definitely recommend this pattern. It’s pretty easy to make, fast, and really cute!
(I also have to give a shout out to my sister for going fabric shopping for me.. There aren’t very many places for good swim fabric here in Kansas! Thanks sis!) Of course I’m still a little in shock that I actually made a swim suit and then posted pictures on the internet.. The things we give for our art!
This is a t-shirt I sewed up several weeks ago now, and I really love it. I didn’t actually use a pattern, but instead I just traced a top that I already had and knew fit well. I kept things super simple with it, and just folded up the sleeves twice and tacked them down in a few places, and then I left the bottom un-hemmed. I just really didn’t feel like hemming knits that day! For the neck, I tried something new and used the last method from here, and it worked really great! The fabric was from Girl Charlee, and I had had it for probably over a year, trying to figure out what to do with it. I’m glad I used it for this though, because it’s super soft, which makes this top really comfortable! This top was so fast to make, and has been in heavy rotation ever since. Sometimes the simplest things are the best! -Monica
Hey guys, I’m finally back! It’s seriously been a good three months since I last posted anything, but it’s finally summer in my neck of the woods, and I could not be happier! My latest make is this Southport dress from True Bias. Pretty much as soon as she released it, I snatched it up. I think it’s the perfect summer dress, and I’m sure it’ll work great in the fall too, with tights and a scarf. My measurements put me in for needing a 0, but since I was afraid of possible gape-age, I made the 2 and did a 1/2 inch sba, and it worked out great. My fabric is the Robert Kaufman dot chambray, and it is awesome. I got it forever ago waiting for the perfect thing to use it for, and I’m really glad I waited for this. It’s nice and lightweight, but not so lightweight that it’s see through! I was really happy with this pattern, and plan on making more in the near future.
Well, this post was certainly a long time coming.. At least for me. I started this top back at the end of summer (hence the very summery vibe) and it’s actually been finished for a little while now, but alas, I didn’t get around to taking pictures till yesterday (when it was like 30 degrees, by the way).
The wind caught the ruffle here!
While I haven’t blogged anything for a long time, I have still been sewing, although pretty slowly, and have a few other projects finished, or just about finished, but that’s a story for a different post😉 For this top I used the Sewaholic Saltspring dress pattern. I just took the pattern piece for the top part of the dress and lengthened it till it seemed about right. Then for the ruffle I just took the bodice piece again, cut it down so it was a bit shorter, then slashed and spread it out so it would be more full. Easy peasy. I really just kinda eye-balled everything for this based on my measurements and hoped it would work out.. It did! I originally got the inspiration for this top from American Eagle. Back in the summer I was there doing some shopping and saw a top very similar to this for like $30 and I was like “I can totally make that” so I did! My fabric is a really awesome print rayon from I think fabric mart.. I don’t remember for sure, but I probably got it about two years ago. It was actually left over fabric that I had made the Saltspring dress back a while ago. So now I have a matching dress and cami from the same pattern! Hope no one notices…🙂 I really like how it turned out, but it probably won’t get much wear until the weather warms up again in a few months. But when it does, I’ll be ready for it!